Melbourne is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 8 miles (13 km) west of the market town of Market Weighton and 4.5 miles (7 km) south-west of the market town of Pocklington. The village lies just to the south of the Pocklington Canal. According to the 2011 UK census, Melbourne parish had a population of 793, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 755.In 1823, Melbourne was in the civil parish of Thorton and the Wapentake of Harthill. Within the village was a Wesleyan and a Primitive Methodist chapel. Population at the time was 437. Occupations included two blacksmiths, two shoemakers, a joiner, a wheelwright & machine maker, a bricklayer, a cattle dealer, a shopkeeper, a brick & tile maker, and fourteen farmers, one of whom was the landlord of The Cross Keys public house. Resident in the village were two gentlemen and a yeoman, and Lieutenant General James Wharton, who was a Justice of the peace and the Commissioner of Taxes for the East and North Ridings. A carrier operated between the village and York once a week.
Hosted and licensed by Derbyshire Live
Melbourne shipping container self-storage site likened to 'Amazon depot'
Published: 12th Feb 2024
Hosted and licensed by Staffordshire Live
Public hearing bypassed as controversial car park approved
Published: 31st Oct 2023